Pages

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

May 8th Ovarian Cancer Awareness Day

Hi Everyone,  today is National Ovarian Cancer Day.  It's day dedicated to raising awareness of Ovarian Cancer--a cancer with a very low survival rate and currently no cure.  Unlike Breast Cancer Awareness that get's a whole month, Ovarian Cancer has been sadly delegated to one day.  It's another one of those "awareness" things--can it really be true the world has to be made aware of a cancer that kills more women than any other gynecological cancer? Do we honestly need to be made aware 20,000 women a year are diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer and less than half will survive?  We shouldn't have to be made aware of this, we should all know this and wish for continued research to find the cure for this horrible disease.

I lost a grandmother to Ovarian Cancer.  Her name was Mary Shaw.  She died on my mother's 18 birthday.  Can you imagine?  Your own mother dying on the very day she gave life to you?  Honestly don't try to imagine it, it's pretty awful.  My Grandma Shaw was a beautiful, vibrant woman cut down in the prime of her life at age 42.  Despite a 20 year age difference between them, my grandfather long outlived his young wife.  

Sadly they aren't further along in curing this cancer that took my grandmother's life 54 years ago.

This is the poster for May 8th Ovarian Cancer Day
You can be a part of helping to spread awareness by sharing this via facebook, twitter, instagram--you name it!  Wherever you can share it!

My mani today is in honor of the beautiful woman I have yet to meet--I know she is waiting for me and someday I'll feel her arms around me

There is currently no cure for Ovarian Cancer.  Early detection is virtually non-existent.  But you can help yourself by making sure you see your OB-Gyn annually.
You are at a greater risk for Ovarian Cancer if you are 50 or older.  If you have a family history of Ovarian, Breast, or Colon Cancer you are at a greater risk.  If you or someone in your family carries the BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene mutations you are at a greater risk.  If you suffer from infertility or have never been pregnant you are at a great risk

The signs and symptoms of Ovarian Cancer can be:
Gastrointestinal complaints that are persistent and unexplained such as gas, nausea or constant indigestion
Pelvic and/or abdominal swelling and/or pain; a feeling of fullness or bloat
Unexplained change in bowel habits
Unexplained weight loss or gain
Frequent urination
Abnormal post menopausal bleeding

Prevention of Ovarian Cancer is such things as
Taking an oral contraceptive for more than 5 years can help reduce your risk of up to 50%
Multiple pregnancies and breast feeding
Removal of the ovaries can help to reduce your risk

As the color for Ovarian Cancer Awareness is Teal, I chose the lovely Illamasqua Muse and paired her with Illamasqua Poke and China Glaze For Audrey

Please keep yourself informed of the many gynecological cancers that can affect your life.  WHENEVER you feel something is off in your body call your doctor--it can save your life.

If you or someone you know has been affected by this terrible cancer my thoughts are with you.  If you are a survivor many happy blessings to you.

I hope someday there is a cure for all cancer



7 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post, I too have been affected by this disease, I lost my Aunt 15 years ago to Ovarian Cancer , our entire family have been screened for the BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene , by a miracle I haven't , which does make me feel guilty some what as others in my family aren't so lucky! It is really important to get checked out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That marble nail is simply gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful nail art! Thank you for making such an informative post and teaching me about ovarian cancer! I think we need awareness days to spread information, and that it can save lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting so much wonderful information regarding ovarian cancer. It can be sooo easy to dismiss symptoms as nothing too important....I know as I had a rare form of ovarian cancer that I was not supposed to survive. Thank goodness my body did NOT cooperate with the doctor's opinion, that was TEN years ago that I was told I had only 5% chance of survival.
    I'm so sorry for your mother's loss, my biggest concern when I was doing chemo was that I did not want to leave my children without a mother. I can't imagine how hard that was on your mom, but I do know how your grandmother must have felt. This disease has taken far too many women and yet the only information you see regarding cancer affecting women is PINK! I'd like to change that!
    I did a mani, but I don't know how to post to the link without having a blog....so it's on facebook in the Crumpet mani group. Thanks again-
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way, I forgot to add that your mani is FABULOUS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both my favorite comediennes died of ovarian cancer, Gilda Radnor and Madeline Kahn. I believe the number of women dying of it is much higher than they think. Too many older women pooh pooh their own health and when you're older and pass away unexpectedly, they often do no autopsy, just assuming the death is a natural result of age.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great mani for a great cause. ,y mom passed away from ovarian cancer a few years ago. I had one of my ovaries removed a few years ago at age 27, I am currently pregnant with twins and in order to spend time doing low stress activities as my doctor suggested I have started nail stamping. Maybe I should start a log lol. Great stuff I enjoy your blog

    ReplyDelete